2 years ago
Timbo114
Blogs: 0
Forum: 25
Votes: 0

What value does this wonderful - rock solid rocker have today?
Can anyone also quote date of manufacture?

Answer
2 years ago
ntpd4
Ace
Blogs: 1
Forum: 1,196
Votes: 15

Timbo
Chair was most likely made in the late 60's into the 70's when early american furniture was all the rage
Value of rocking chairs of this type at auction is very low $20 to $30 dollars maybe. Asking prices for this type chair on line can run into several hundred dollars although its a very hard sell. It is very well made furniture rock maple in line with Ethan Allen furniture of the same era. Check out this site earthjunk.com it will give you an idea of what asking prices are

2 years ago
Probst54
Master
Blogs: 63
Forum: 4,028
Votes: 126

Yes I would agree with ntpd4. The little caps covering the screw holes are a dead giveaway. It is odd that below the seat, all seems to be joined without screws so there must have been a weakness in the design above that could not be corrected other than using screws.

2 years ago
Timbo114

Thank you both for the info.
I do appreciate it.

2 years ago
Probst54
Master
Blogs: 63
Forum: 4,028
Votes: 126

You are very welcome. Remember we are not the gospel - working from photos is a challenge. A good appraiser with eyeballs on the prize is well worth a look.

2 years ago
rdk53

Timbo, I am from Tell City and I know about a thousand people that would give you $30. They never used screws, only glue to join the structural pieces of their furniture. i hope you did not give it away as it retails for around $300.

2 years ago
Timbo114

This Tell City Rocker is in my living room, looking over the lake across the road.

1 year ago
Yvonne

I dot know what it is worth. But my Mom got hers when I was born in 1961. And it looks just like it.

1 year ago
jim
Master
Forum: 4,388
Votes: 151

Hi Yvonne, This chair design is all over the place. The splat back Circa 1900's. Screw cap covers Circa 1920's Arm Design empire style.

Orange Shellac Finish.Circa 1950's.

1 year ago
Becky

Anything Tell City is worth quite a bit. I just bought one like this and will put $350 on it.

1 year ago
ntpd4
Ace

Rocking chairs of this type typically sell at auction for well under $50 and while the asking price on these chairs is very high they usually do not sell

1 year ago
jim
Master
Forum: 4,388
Votes: 151

The High prices are the internet at work.

1 year ago
ntpd4
Ace

Or not working Tell city made nice furniture but the cattail style seems to be the only thing that really sells from them. Big clunky rocking chairs are really not that desirable anymore

6 months ago
bookworm

I have a Tell City child's rocker. Solid wood, no screws in perfect condition. Willing to sell. <email>

By entering this site you declare you read and agreed to its Terms, Rules & Privacy and you understand that your use of the site's content is made at your own risk and responsibility.
Copyright © 2006 - 2015 My Antique Furniture Collection